Infiniti QX50 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Winter is right around the corner.

What options are there for the QX50 since most who will be buying this year will have to get winter tires as well :D

I believe the EX came in both 18s and 19s?

·
Registered
57 Posts
we can get away with what ever all season tires come with the QX50 especially since they're brand new and can still be very grippy in winter depending on how you drive of course.

i would just save my money and not get winter tires till a couple years after.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
really? I've never had great experience in the winter with all seasons no matter how new they are. The tread design just isn't designed to dig through snow.

·
Registered
75 Posts
You just need to be careful if you are driving through fresh snow. If your city has a great snow removal system then it is not as big of a deal.

I wouldn't risk it though. It is better to be over prepared then try to brake and end up sliding into the car in front of you. That's how my one and only car accident happened when I was 17.

·
Registered
81 Posts
no matter what winter tires will always be better
like-new condition 4 season tires with traction control will get you by, but you wont be able to come to a stop as quick as people running winter tires...

·
Registered
131 Posts
yea the worst bargin basement winter tires will do you better than even the highest end winter rated all seasons.

Although if you're an intelligent driver you will be more than safe with winter rated all seasons on your QX50.

I tell anyone i speak with about winter tires to check out Nokian. They're a bunch of crazy Fins who invented the winter tire way back when. They currently hold the worlds ice speed record on a studded tire. 208 mph....

·
Registered
131 Posts
Never knew Nokian was from finland.

Top model Nokians can get pretty expensive.
well you did post this earlier in the thread

I feel like its one of those better to be safe than not kind of things
How much is too expensive when you're talking about you and your family's safety? Not to mention protecting your ~$50,000 investment (QX50)

besides you dont need top of the line Nokians, those are studded and for ice racing or for folks living in the sticks of Finland. Mid range will do ya just as well, I'm telling you Nokians are hands down the safest tires I have ever driven on.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Nokian Hakkapeliitta were one of the best winter tires I have had, and the second best being the michelin pilot alpins.

·
Registered
57 Posts
always had blizzaks
they did well and i will always continue using them even when my current has to be retried i will buy a new set of them

·
Registered
42 Posts
I'm on my fourth year with the michelin PA3 pilot alpins. I noticed the difference in them although from the looks of the tread seem to be fair but the rubber compound is starting to get brittle.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It seems like the most favoured are Nokians. Blizzaks. Or Xice.

I dont think you can go wrong.

most of the time ANY winter tire is better than an all-season tire. Especially when it comes to braking distance.

·
Registered
131 Posts
It seems like the most favoured are Nokians. Blizzaks. Or Xice.

I dont think you can go wrong.

most of the time ANY winter tire is better than an all-season tire. Especially when it comes to braking distance.
yea exactly, and its not just that. On a morning like we had in my neck of the woods, rainy below 10 degrees Celsius all season tires turn into hockey pucks, those aren;t even going to stop you on dry asphalt effectively...

·
Registered
42 Posts
That is exactly it peope don't realize that even though there isnt any snow it doesnt mean your tires will still grip the same on the cold roads. don't forget that the all season rubber compound freezes up affecting traction and braking distance.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I'm on my fourth year with the michelin PA3 pilot alpins. I noticed the difference in them although from the looks of the tread seem to be fair but the rubber compound is starting to get brittle.
might want to look into a new set, 4 years is pushing it mate

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
do most of you usually get rims dedicate for winter or do you just mount the winter tires on your existing rims?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts