Infiniti QX50 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have seen this topic on other Infiniti forums but not on the QX50. I have a 2014 QX50 and last night, the sunroof exploded while driving down the road at 45 mph. I was not near any trees, have anyone driving in front of me, nor under/by an overpass for something to fall on the roof. The car is garage kept so limited exposure to elements. Apparently, this is not an uncommon issue. Sounded like a gun going off when it exploded and rained glass down the back of the car. Fortunately, I had the sunroof shield closed and was not showered by glass. Anyone else experience this? I see in the Q50 and Q60 forums where this has happened to others.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
70 Posts
Wow . . .

Meteor Fragment ?

Heat ~ Cold Phenomena ?

Structural Stress Twist of Roof ?

Bad Karma and the Nature of Tempered Glass ?

Bummer, so . . How Much to Replace ?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wow . . .

Meteor Fragment ?

Heat ~ Cold Phenomena ?

Structural Stress Twist of Roof ?

Bad Karma and the Nature of Tempered Glass ?

Bummer, so . . How Much to Replace ?
Never open the sunroof and always keep the shade closed. Not sure what caused it but google it...it's not an uncommon occurrence, unfortunately. I'm assuming it's heat/cold/stresses over time but just a guess. Looking online, the replacement glass is $700-1000. Sure it would be in the $1500-2500 range, after labor, if I paid out of pocket. Just called insurance company and they'll cover it.

·
Registered
19 Posts
This is actually common across all brands and could happen to any vehicle. Not sure if it’s a common issue in the prior model QX50s but sometimes a very tiny, unnoticeable fracture, chip or crack in the glass can cause a sudden failure. Just the flexing of the vehicle or wind while driving can be enough to push it past the breaking point once it’s damaged and it explodes. Sunroofs are generally made from tempered glass which is why it explodes into millions of tiny fragments vs the windshield which uses laminated glass which contains all the fragments. Unfortunately most people end up paying out of pocket for these repairs

1 - 4 of 4 Posts