Infiniti QX50 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
last week infiniti confirmed they would be adding another crossover to its QX line, the QX30, expected to slot in below the QX50. The QX30 is supposed to share a platform with the Q30, meaning the Q30 will be way more car than crossover.

QX30 should complete the QX line, unless Infiniti is planning a QX100 dump truck... Infiniti has also stated they will be expanding the model lineup by 60% and engine offers by 50%, meaning if they have 6 models now we should expect 4 or 5 new ones...

There is already an Infiniti QX30 forum up.

·
Registered
300 Posts
In for that QX100 dump truck.

Engine offering by 50% means a bunch of turbocharged 4 cylinders and diesels :p

I am very curious what they are doing with the QX30 and Q30 and how they slot in with the QX50

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
In for that QX100 dump truck.

Engine offering by 50% means a bunch of turbocharged 4 cylinders and diesels :p

I am very curious what they are doing with the QX30 and Q30 and how they slot in with the QX50
I'm thinking were going to see something similar to the A and GLA classes from mercedes. The Q30 and QX30 are going to share architecture with both of these vehicles. So I think its fair to assume Q30 is going to be more small and hatchy while QX30 is going to be more small CUV.

Dimensionally Q30 will be just shy of QX50 so im expecting QX50 to go through a bit of a growth spurt before we see its new face..

A class

GLA

·
Registered
81 Posts
i heard Infiniti will be developing an SUV based off of the mercedes GLA, which could very well be the QX30, sitting above the Q30.

·
Registered
300 Posts
How will the QX30 compare to the Q30 in terms of size

It seems like these three cars overlap a bit. Going to confuse alot of buyers.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I bet that the cars won't differ in size all that much. The QX30 will sit a bit higher and have some different styling cues, while the Q30 will sit lower to ht e ground and be more hatchback/sedan than CUV. With so many models, there is going to be less and less difference between one model and the model above/below it.

if you look at the GLA vs the A-Class that is basically the difference between the two. They really don't look that different in size.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I bet that the cars won't differ in size all that much. The QX30 will sit a bit higher and have some different styling cues, while the Q30 will sit lower to ht e ground and be more hatchback/sedan than CUV. With so many models, there is going to be less and less difference between one model and the model above/below it.

if you look at the GLA vs the A-Class that is basically the difference between the two. They really don't look that different in size.
yep exactly. I imagine QX50 will grow slightly to accommodate QX30. The GLK is growing to accommodate the GLA...

·
Registered
361 Posts
How will the QX30 compare to the Q30 in terms of size

It seems like these three cars overlap a bit. Going to confuse alot of buyers.
The QX30 will probably be more of a true SUV being loosely based off of the Q30. I think the best example would be BMW, how everything is going over at Infiniti, it seems like they're trying to expand like how BMW did and is continuing to do so

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The QX50 could grow to seperate itself from the QX30 and Q30 and bridge the gap to the QX70.
QX50 is bridging no gaps, QX70 is growing as well... QX50 will still ride on the same platform as the G/Q50 while Q30 is on the MFA platform developed with MB. There will be a noticeable size gap once infiniti gets done, or else they begin to cannibalize themselves

·
Registered
42 Posts
the FM platform has been out for a while i had no idea they carried it in to the Q50 till I did somemore research. And it looks like it will be around for a while.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
the FM platform has been out for a while i had no idea they carried it in to the Q50 till I did somemore research. And it looks like it will be around for a while.
its a good platform, a little heavier than some of the modern aluminum chassis but still very effective. The updated FM platform will transfer to QX50, QX70 and Q60.

Theres not many RWD SUVs being made anymore, even less will be made going into the future.

SUVs were once based on trucks, now they're all based on cars...

·
Registered
361 Posts
its a good platform, a little heavier than some of the modern aluminum chassis but still very effective. The updated FM platform will transfer to QX50, QX70 and Q60.

Theres not many RWD SUVs being made anymore, even less will be made going into the future.

SUVs were once based on trucks, now they're all based on cars...
it's only a matter of time till Infiniti goes FWD with next gen models, it's one of the best ways to save gas.
I think mercedes is doing this with the CLA and any other vehicles on the CLA platform..... FWD standard, AWD optional

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I thought the chassis was steel.
it is steel, thats why i said the FM chassis is heavier than most of the modern aluminium chassis out there.

it's only a matter of time till Infiniti goes FWD with next gen models, it's one of the best ways to save gas.
I think mercedes is doing this with the CLA and any other vehicles on the CLA platform..... FWD standard, AWD optional
The GLA/CLA chassis is shared with Infiniti, FWD isnt always the best option for saving gas. Pushing something is always more effective than pulling something. and FWD applications usually come with miniscule engines meaning they need to WORK just to get you out of the hole.

Sharing chassis is a way to save money though so i dont see them scrapping the FM platform. Plus if Infiniti does go FWD across the lineup then where is the justification to buy infiniti over Nissan? Infiniti is the only japanese luxury brand that isnt guilty of blatent badge engineering. Look at any lexus and you cal tell which toyota spawned it, same goes for Acura. Infiniti and Nissan however are quite distinct in terms of styling, technology and dynamics.

If QX50 shifts to a FWD platform whats the justification for QX50 over a Rogue?

·
Registered
361 Posts
it is steel, thats why i said the FM chassis is heavier than most of the modern aluminium chassis out there.

The GLA/CLA chassis is shared with Infiniti, FWD isnt always the best option for saving gas. Pushing something is always more effective than pulling something. and FWD applications usually come with miniscule engines meaning they need to WORK just to get you out of the hole.

Sharing chassis is a way to save money though so i dont see them scrapping the FM platform. Plus if Infiniti does go FWD across the lineup then where is the justification to buy infiniti over Nissan? Infiniti is the only japanese luxury brand that isnt guilty of blatent badge engineering. Look at any lexus and you cal tell which toyota spawned it, same goes for Acura. Infiniti and Nissan however are quite distinct in terms of styling, technology and dynamics.

If QX50 shifts to a FWD platform whats the justification for QX50 over a Rogue?
the whole push vs pull this is why i miss the days when we had 4 cylinder cars that came RWD, cars like the Nissan 240! Nissan and Infiniti need to look back at their past and reapply some of what they did to cars of today.

They should at least make RWD standard in one 4 cylinder car for now.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
the whole push vs pull this is why i miss the days when we had 4 cylinder cars that came RWD, cars like the Nissan 240! Nissan and Infiniti need to look back at their past and reapply some of what they did to cars of today.

They should at least make RWD standard in one 4 cylinder car for now.
I agree. The problem is its a cost benefit thing. It costs much more to design a RWD platform, especially a small one that would not be as versatile, while the benefits are meaningless to a crop of shoppers who couldn't tell you how many wheels a car comes with. Its not that the enthusiasts don't care, its that the majority of buyers are apathetic. So makers consistently pick the low hanging fruit, which are gutless cars for gutless people....

QX50 could get a turbo 4 now that i think about it. It would certainly put it more in line with industry practice, help mpgs and give it some good power...

·
Registered
42 Posts
I am surprised how infiniti havent started to come out with any turbo four cylinders yet in their vehicles. Hoever it is rumored that teh infiniti Q30 will be having one.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I am surprised how infiniti havent started to come out with any turbo four cylinders yet in their vehicles. Hoever it is rumored that teh infiniti Q30 will be having one.
Yeah apparently it will happen but where will it come from, Mercedes? Or are they going to develop a totally new turbo 4?

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yeah apparently it will happen but where will it come from, Mercedes? Or are they going to develop a totally new turbo 4?
yes from Mercedes. MB and Nissan have an agreement for Nissan to build Mercedes 4 cyls in Tennessee, for their troubles Nissan will be granted usage of these engines.

I bet once Q30 gets a turbo 4, Q50 gets one and definitely QX50 gets a turbo four. the new escape only offers 4 and turbo 4 options...

1 - 20 of 23 Posts