Infiniti QX50 Forum banner

oil leak fixed and now this...dealer told me i need rack and pinion replaced????

3K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  Tommy 
#1 ·
My 2016 QX50 with 34K miles was rock solid until this week....first damn "Click" sound each time i put car in reverse and vice versa (still working on it as im getting parts to do this fix myself), oil leak from transfer case fixed under powertrain warranty and now dealer inspected the car after replacing oil seal on transfer case and told me i should replace rack and pinion and i according to him this should be done rather sooner than later,
Since car is now only under powertrain warranty this is not covered, he priced it at round $2K for parts and labor. Actual parts are more than half of that. as far as labor they need 4-5 hours to do the job.
I mean...rack and pinion done at 34K miles???
I tend to keep my vehicles around 6-7 years and never had this kind of issue so is this "normal" for infiniti?
I personally dont feel anything strange with the steering so i dont know what to think of it.

Do you guys know how can i make sure that fix is realy needed and im not being fooled into paying for something thats not even needed? After all if it is needed then i will just get it done but i would like to make sure that replacement is actually needed.
Anybody???

See less See more
#2 ·
Do you guys know how can i make sure that fix is realy needed and im not being fooled into paying for something thats not even needed? After all if it is needed then i will just get it done but i would like to make sure that replacement is actually needed.
Anybody???
[/QUOTE]

I'm probably a little paranoid and don't believe most of what dealer service shops tell me. My flast "Free" oil change with the dealer resulted in a strong recommendation to do a 4 wheel break job for about $850. I picked up the brakes on the way home and pulled a wheel. No need to change brakes. 10,000 miles later, the new brakes are still on the shelf.

I recently had an engine cradle replaced on a Rogue, and the quote from an independent shop was HALF the quote from the dealer. I didn't have time to mess with it, so I had the shop do the work and they are my go-to for things I don't have time to address or I don't have the specialized tools for.

Get another quote from a reputable independent that knows Infiniti vehicles - you might be shocked that nothing needs to be replaced ;)

#3 ·
My 2016 QX50 with 34K miles was rock solid until this week....first damn "Click" sound each time i put car in reverse and vice versa (still working on it as im getting parts to do this fix myself), oil leak from transfer case fixed under powertrain warranty and now dealer inspected the car after replacing oil seal on transfer case and told me i should replace rack and pinion and i according to him this should be done rather sooner than later,
Since car is now only under powertrain warranty this is not covered, he priced it at round $2K for parts and labor. Actual parts are more than half of that. as far as labor they need 4-5 hours to do the job.
I tend to keep my vehicles around 6-7 years and never had this kind of issue so is this "normal" for infiniti?
I personally dont feel anything strange with the steering so i dont know what to think of it.

Anybody???
I would get at least three opinions before I put out that kind of money

#4 ·

Anybody???
as Original owner of 2014 qx50 with 61k miles, I regret the purchase and wish I had bought the equivalent Acura car. I bought with my heart not my head. In general I find the overall quality is less than expected.
so I’m not that surprised you have encountered an unusual and disappointing repair situation.
I do expect the same.

#5 ·
While this Thread is 6 months old, it still goes back to a point in time where the Dealers have far fewer cars on the lot to sell due to the Micro Chip shortage and reduced allocations to specific Nissan / INFINITI models.

With that said, Dealer Profits are way down form the recent past.

As a result, Dealers are now reliant on their Service Departments to pick up the slack as Profit Center for the Dealerships.

Beware of any " suggested " repairs ~ if it (sp) aint broke . . . why pay for a repair merely because the greedy Dealership instructed the Service Advisor to step up revenues during this period of slow car sales ?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.