Infiniti QX50 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi! I just picked up my new QX50 yesterday and am very happy with it so far! I have the Journey Premium model. Traded in my ol' baby, :crying: a 2011 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport AWD that I loved so much. I had a two-week wait for my vehicle as there was a long line-up waiting for command start to be installed (because I went right after Christmas to purchase). I wanted to spoil myself with a back-up camera and it was a difficult decision but went for it. Before buying vehicles, I always research it to death, literally... and it came down to this car in the end. It was a matter of not only decent reliability but also camera, AWD, very good lumbar support (bad back), and of course I always go through Phil Edmonston's "Lemon Aid" book as well as the number of complaints and TSB's, etc., about each type/year of vehicles through research. I must say, almost all the cars I was looking at, were crossed off my list! I prefer to be aware of problems with vehicles before thinking of purchasing (okay, I'm picky...). So far it's paid off many times over with buying reliable cars with little problems.

Yesterday was a very strong windy day and a long drive home and the QX did better on gas against the wind than my Santa Fe with the wind (2-hour long drive), so I was quite pleasantly surprised. The winter weather here is pretty harsh lately with cold, wind and snow. I'm glad I've got a garage to park in!

One bit of concern I have, not sure if it was something I did, but on the way home, twice my dashboard light turned off. I found it strange. I fiddled with the headlights and got it back on again (originally was set to "Auto", then full on to get it back). Prior to the second time it turned off, I tried dimming the dashboard a bit as it was starting to get dark, and it turned off. Later I will go through the manual to do more "discovering".

I also received a cup-holder ashtray which was very inconvenient. I asked to keep the original plastic-felt liner as I'm going to attempt to create an ashtray from a small piece of sheet metal and either screwed or riveted together using the liner as a template. It's an idea I have. I'll see how that turns out tomorrow at work (deep in thought about ideas - steam coming out of my ears)...

I just love the look of the car, sporty yet very functional. At home its just the two of us so no worries about tight back seats, and trunk decent size for getting groceries. Both front seats are very comfortable for the two of us, more-so than the Santa Fe was. I love the extra features of auto-up seats, very good passing power on the highway, and many others. I did decide to go for the extra warranty just for my piece of mind, despite reading in a few places that it's not really necessary.

One last thing for anyone in Manitoba, I highly recommend Birchwood Infiniti of Winnipeg as they did a wonderful job! The staff are excellent and worked very well with me as their customer to please in whatever way they can - they go out of their way!

I have a new baby, my sweet thang!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Well the ashtray I tried to create turned out to be a disaster. But on the brighter side, I lined the fake ashtray with aluminum tape and it's working well so far! Made another trip today on highway and my QX did better on gas than my last car. I was getting average of 8.1 to 8.5 L/100 kms. I love it!

·
Registered
361 Posts
Congrats!

Would you ever consider going for a Hyundai again in the future? At this rate it seems their bound to come out with some truly luxurious SUV, Genesis SUV? hmmm...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hyundai's lineup is lookin quite impeccable indeed so far but I think with the success of the Genesis so far, it does seem like a Genesis based SUV would make sense. However, it seems like they're doing just fine with their sales on the Sante Fe and Tucson

·
Registered
361 Posts
Hyundai's lineup is lookin quite impeccable indeed so far but I think with the success of the Genesis so far, it does seem like a Genesis based SUV would make sense. However, it seems like they're doing just fine with their sales on the Sante Fe and Tucson
Had the chance to see their new genesis in person and the more I see it the more i'm liking it, design alone... they have a real winner on their hands.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Had the chance to see their new genesis in person and the more I see it the more i'm liking it, design alone... they have a real winner on their hands.
I hated it.

It's design to me just looked like a mash up of designs from different car makers, looking like they were trying way too hard to fit in, rather than being unique.

·
Registered
361 Posts
i didn't think it was that bad
and some of what you saw on the genesis can be seen on the new equus that was spied testing today :D

·
Registered
81 Posts
i didn't think it was that bad
and some of what you saw on the genesis can be seen on the new equus that was spied testing today :D

as much as i am for Hyundai trying harder and harder to fit into well established and competitive segments...i just hate when they continue to copy other brands which seems to be the case with the rear end...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I love the SUV's so I'm sticking with those for myself. Still miss my Santa Fe but loving the QX50!
By the way, has anyone ever tried to order side window deflectors for the QX50? I tried and so far can't get any. The most popular one "Weather Tech" doesn't make them yet. Went to my dealer and he said the car is basically the same as the 2013 EX37 - no design change. I'm wondering if I am able to find one of those if it would fit for sure.
Does anyone know?

·
Registered
361 Posts
I love the SUV's so I'm sticking with those for myself. Still miss my Santa Fe but loving the QX50!
By the way, has anyone ever tried to order side window deflectors for the QX50? I tried and so far can't get any. The most popular one "Weather Tech" doesn't make them yet. Went to my dealer and he said the car is basically the same as the 2013 EX37 - no design change. I'm wondering if I am able to find one of those if it would fit for sure.
Does anyone know?
maybe this: 13 2013 Infiniti EX37 Window Vent Visors - Body Mechanical & Trim - Weathertech - PartsGeek

1 - 13 of 13 Posts