Infiniti QX50 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Infiniti has found it difficult to raise its brand reputation up to the standards of the German luxury brands. Nevertheless, Infiniti has set itself a goal: 10% of the world premium market by 2020. Chinese will play a big part in this.

Infiniti president Johan de Nysschen says that Infiniti is well-suited to the Chinese market. Buyers in China are more concerned with what a company currently is offering, and less concerned with the heritage of the company. AUdi, BMW and Mercedes-Benz have become commonplace according to de Nysschen, and Infiniti offers something different.

Infiniti will begin selling long wheelbase versions of the Q50 sedan and the QX50 next year. These will be built locally too.

Infiniti also moved its headquarters to Hong Kong, so it really seems like Infiniti is putting a lot of its focus on China. Who isn't though?

·
Registered
131 Posts
well when an entire nation suddenly has the means to begin purchasing cars hand over fist, when that nation is China...

good, let all the automakers pour into china just in time for new car sales to be sanctioned by the government. I mean Chinese air quality isn't going to improve itself, nor are their two week long traffic jams....

·
Registered
70 Posts
It does seem that China is going to finally do something about its air pollution. The pollution there is so bad it is debilitating to the city. You can't see very far in front of you, if you stay outside for too long your lungs eyes and mouth all start to sting. I think an adjustment in Chinese air pollution regulation would still leave most automakers with plenty of room to play with. Most of their vehicles are already far more efficient than the Chinese legal requirement. A lot of the pollution comes from their power plants too.

·
Registered
131 Posts
It does seem that China is going to finally do something about its air pollution. The pollution there is so bad it is debilitating to the city. You can't see very far in front of you, if you stay outside for too long your lungs eyes and mouth all start to sting. I think an adjustment in Chinese air pollution regulation would still leave most automakers with plenty of room to play with. Most of their vehicles are already far more efficient than the Chinese legal requirement. A lot of the pollution comes from their power plants too.
yes but a restriction on vehicle operation is going to put a mighty big dent in their sales. Or people may transition into small Kei car type vehicles, or better yet, scooters and motos....

The Chinese will not drive if there is a taboo attached to it...

·
Registered
361 Posts
interesting.
QX50s built in China. As long as they stay in China I'm happy :)
Same here, unless they prove to be built as good as Infiniti's current are in the places they're built in.
Seeing how big the demand is in China, im sure it will only be for china.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Infiniti really has come a long way though. Looking at Infinitis of 10 years ago. They've pushed hard to increase interior quality and design to really combat the germans. Its a shame it isn't working as well for them. I wonder what it is that makes Infiniti such a hard brand to buy for buyers?

·
Registered
131 Posts
Infiniti really has come a long way though. Looking at Infinitis of 10 years ago. They've pushed hard to increase interior quality and design to really combat the germans. Its a shame it isn't working as well for them. I wonder what it is that makes Infiniti such a hard brand to buy for buyers?
probably that infiniti is working with 10 years of quality while BMW and Merc are working with 40-50 years.... Just look how long it took for Audi to become a serious luxury player...

·
Registered
361 Posts
probably that infiniti is working with 10 years of quality while BMW and Merc are working with 40-50 years.... Just look how long it took for Audi to become a serious luxury player...
Go to give Infiniti and Lexus some credit for coming in the market when they did as in the late 80's and 90's it was tough but they did a really good job. Infiniti J30, G20 were some great vehicles, and the first of their kind from the brand,

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Do you think that Infiniti will actually achieve its goal of 10% market share by 2020? I think that a lot of that increase in sales will be in China. I know that Japanese brands struggle in China a bit because the Chinese don't like Japan. Do you think that will suppress sales?

·
Registered
300 Posts
When Infiniti, Lexus, and Acura first came into the game they really shook things for the german brands

but since then the germans have caught up hard and the japs are now chasing to keep up.

·
Registered
131 Posts
yea lexus was the luxury leader in the US for like 20 years, but im not sure if thats a price thing, recently the germans have been working diligently to move themselves down market...

·
Registered
361 Posts
yea lexus was the luxury leader in the US for like 20 years, but im not sure if thats a price thing, recently the germans have been working diligently to move themselves down market...
They weren't a luxury leader 20 years ago. When they started 20 years ago they priced their vehicles high, not something that helped them at a time they were new to the market and had no history. People went with what they knew to be good and it wasn't Japanese brands, but they did pick up later into the 90's.

·
Registered
300 Posts
it was value and reliability.

the germans are catching up and the brand perception of the germans is giving them the edge.

·
Registered
81 Posts
it was value and reliability.

the germans are catching up and the brand perception of the germans is giving them the edge.
They are, and owning a brand new german car with warranty is nothing like a used one. Owning one new, it's almost worry-free, just make sure to get rid of it right before the warranty is up ;)

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
It is not as though the QX50 is a cheap car though. It costs more than the CLA or GLA if I am not mistaken. I think that if Infiniti started to make cheaper vehicles it would be bad for their brand. They need to be a bigger presence in the higher end market before they make cheaper cars. I would be questioning Infiniti's brand identity if they made cars that were too far down market.

·
Registered
300 Posts
The QX50 is an affordable car

It can be fully equipped for much cheaper than the german rivals and probably be more reliable at it too.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts