Infiniti QX50 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Infiniti is getting super competitive in the Canadian market. The base model of the QX50 is no longer on sale. The new entry level model is the journey trim package. And even then, Infiniti has reduced the price below what the old entry level used to cost. It now costs only $37,900, which is a full $2,000 cheaper than the old base model.

The changes mean that the new base model comes with Bluetooth, moonroof, auto-dimming inside mirror, maple interior accent and power tilt and telescopic steering column.

Trim packages haven't changed in price, but because the base model costs less, total price has been reduced significantly.

This is welcome news for Canadians surely, but what does it say about Infiniti? Is this a sign of weakness or desperation? Is it just a sign that there is more competition in the market than there was a little while ago>?

·
Registered
361 Posts
I've known Canada to be a big CUV market. When visiting Toronto i noticed mass amounts of CUV's on their roads so Infiniti doing this is the right thing to do. It gives them a "1up" over the competition, more value for the consumers money.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I believe this is a move that signals to us QX50 is nearing the end of its life cycle as we know it. Typically towards the end of a design cycle the maker will reduce pricing on introduce special packages to boost volume one last time...

Considering the QX50 is basically 10 years old unchanged its a way to keep people interested in QX50. Many competitors have come and been refreshed so the only way for QX50 to stay top of mind was with a price reduction.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I'd say it is the last little push to get as many X50s sold as possible before we see a new QX50. It is quite a good deal though, very enticing. Infiniti must be coming out with a new QX50 model soon because the current one is starting to look slightly dated. It looks like it was designed in the 00's (which it was.)

·
Registered
131 Posts
I'd say it is the last little push to get as many X50s sold as possible before we see a new QX50. It is quite a good deal though, very enticing. Infiniti must be coming out with a new QX50 model soon because the current one is starting to look slightly dated. It looks like it was designed in the 00's (which it was.)
I'm sure underneath it will be quite similar, simply a styling update and maybe a new engine, but i doubt it. Q50 was barely changed aside from wizard tech and styling...

·
Registered
361 Posts
About the new redesigned QX50....when should we expect to see it? is it going to be anything like or base off of the new Mercedes GLA?

·
Registered
300 Posts
It could just be that the competition is stepping up and the base model isn't as competitive. So they decided to make the next trim up the base model.

·
Registered
131 Posts
About the new redesigned QX50....when should we expect to see it? is it going to be anything like or base off of the new Mercedes GLA?
No not GLA, although theres not much news for QX50 everything points to it continuing on Q50s platform. GLA shares MFA platform with Q30, and QX30...

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm not sure that the QX50 really needs much more than a styling update though. It drives well, it has tons of technology inside it, it is a good size. A simple update would make it more competitive. They could throw in a new engine if there is one that is better that they have lying around (lol).

At this point I would be hesitant to buy a QX50 just because I think a new model will come out in a year or so and then I will be disappointed to have the older model without all the new design language.

·
Registered
361 Posts
I'm not sure that the QX50 really needs much more than a styling update though. It drives well, it has tons of technology inside it, it is a good size. A simple update would make it more competitive. They could throw in a new engine if there is one that is better that they have lying around (lol).

At this point I would be hesitant to buy a QX50 just because I think a new model will come out in a year or so and then I will be disappointed to have the older model without all the new design language.
For the outgoing model, no updates are needed, if any...they will be minor, or just things that make the last year or 2nd year models very special.
next generation will need to offer up a lot more, based off of the outgoing QX50 maybe?

·
Registered
131 Posts
well yea you have to figure the price drop puts QX50 in range of a few more pedestrian brands. I'd say with the drop it will get people shopping for loaded Escapes and Journeys to consider. May even steal a sale or two from the Rogue...

·
Registered
361 Posts
well yea you have to figure the price drop puts QX50 in range of a few more pedestrian brands. I'd say with the drop it will get people shopping for loaded Escapes and Journeys to consider. May even steal a sale or two from the Rogue...
As nice as the new Escape, Journey, Cherokee and other new SUV's are, I just don't think someone will turn down the amazing luxury and performance they can have with the QX50. There's a big difference between it and the non-luxury models listed above.

·
Registered
131 Posts
As nice as the new Escape, Journey, Cherokee and other new SUV's are, I just don't think someone will turn down the amazing luxury and performance they can have with the QX50. There's a big difference between it and the non-luxury models listed above.
thats what I'm saying, the price drop brings shoppers of those vehicles in range....

·
Registered
361 Posts
It sure does, it's going to be hard for other car makers to be as competitive with pricing but they might be able to keep up with more and better features. we'll have to see when the time comes.

·
Registered
300 Posts
If you think about it. For 6000 of a price drop. You get a bump in trim

SO that 6000 savings can get you likely the top trim QX50 for basically what was the entry level trim last year. HOWS THAT FOR VALUE

·
Registered
361 Posts
If you think about it. For 6000 of a price drop. You get a bump in trim

SO that 6000 savings can get you likely the top trim QX50 for basically what was the entry level trim last year. HOWS THAT FOR VALUE
exactly, really good value right here. either use that $6000 to get a higher or the highest trim QX50 or pocket that money and stick with the lower end model.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts