Infiniti QX50 Forum banner
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Reply to JK

You work for Nissan/Infiniti right? JK....:)
No, in fact I have no ties to Nissan/Infiniti other than being a customer. I see there is at least one Infiniti sales person who often answers questions, but he clearly identifies himself as such. I am an engineer by training, so I tend to dig into specs and statistics, etc, and I wanted to see if my disappointment in the MPG of my 2019 QX50 was warranted.....so I dug into it as described in my post.

·
Registered
22 Posts
My 2019 QX50 Essential is getting around 21 MPG with a little over 1000 miles. Hoping after further break in it will do better. Disappointed so far.

Reactions: stepkau

·
Registered
16 Posts
Updating my "Better Than You Think" post, I found a MotorTrend web site that attempts to measure real world MPG for many models. https://www.motortrend.com/real-mpg/ It shows the QX50 getting 21 mpg city, and 29.7 hwy, vs 24 and 30 per the EPA. So yes, again, it is getting less than the EPA prediction at the city end and very close at hwy conditions. Of the competitors I listed in my previous email, only the Acura RDX and Volvo XC60 are rated for 2019. Both get close to their EPA ratings for city driving and a bit better on the hwy numbers. HOWEVER, the actual performance of both is slightly lower than the QX50 at city speeds, and about the same at hwy speeds (ok, RDX is a little lower at hwy speed and XC60 slightly better). So I again conclude that while the QX50 doesn't meet its EPA predictions, it is generally about as good or better than its competition.

·
Registered
19 Posts
2019 QX50 and I’ve found that I get the MPG that the manufacturer stated. Since I’ve purchased the car, I’ve driven 15,000 miles. I average 26.5-26.8 mpg and I definitely don’t drive like a grandma. Always over the speed limit, always passing people and going 90+ on the freeways and still get what the manufacturer stated. It took awhile to get use to the car but I believe I learned how to drive the vehicle as it was designed, which I’ll admit is a bit of a learning curve.

All I can say is a vehicle with variable gearing, variable compression engine and varying levels of turbo all mixed together, you have to drive as variable as the car is designed. Leave your dash on the Variable Compression screen and you can learn how the car behaves at different levels of compression and boost.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Hi all,
For what it's worth (data point, maybe) my 2016 QX50 mileage is HIGHLY dependent upon how I drive it. I have never owned a vehicle that is so true to "your city mileage may be lower".
When I go on road trips, I can pull 28 mpg. Granted, I live in TX and the roads tend to be long, flat and straight. When I drive around town, on trips long enough to at least warm up the engine, I get 18 mpg.
"Average Fuel Economy" for me runs around 21-22 mpg, give my mix of driving.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Good afternoon all ! I am a new member and just picked up my 2019 QX50 yesterday morning. It has 20,000kms. on it or around 12,00 miles. Yes I am in Canada. LOL. So my fuel economy readout said 26.5 on it. Now I found you can go to another screen which shows the driving/mileage history of the vehicle. Well to my surprise, the average mileage for the whole year was 20 ish at best. So...... I sure hope the dealership isn't resetting them and driving the cars a few blocks to recalibrate the readout and then stop the vehicle when it reaches 26.5 and put it back on the lot. Interesting perspective, I think. Let's all face the facts, how many of us have bought a vehicle and had it deliver the exact mileage or better than the manufacturer had advertised ? Well....maybe if it was a 69 Roadrunner with a Hemi !!! I will fill my tank soon and do my own calculations and report back. But I must say for only having it for two days, the fuel needle is dropping like Biden's popularity !! Enjoy the great weather and the weekend !

·
Registered
19 Posts
Good afternoon all ! I am a new member and just picked up my 2019 QX50 yesterday morning. It has 20,000kms. on it or around 12,00 miles. Yes I am in Canada. LOL. So my fuel economy readout said 26.5 on it. Now I found you can go to another screen which shows the driving/mileage history of the vehicle. Well to my surprise, the average mileage for the whole year was 20 ish at best. So...... I sure hope the dealership isn't resetting them and driving the cars a few blocks to recalibrate the readout and then stop the vehicle when it reaches 26.5 and put it back on the lot. Interesting perspective, I think. Let's all face the facts, how many of us have bought a vehicle and had it deliver the exact mileage or better than the manufacturer had advertised ? Well....maybe if it was a 69 Roadrunner with a Hemi !!! I will fill my tank soon and do my own calculations and report back. But I must say for only having it for two days, the fuel needle is dropping like Biden's popularity !! Enjoy the great weather and the weekend !
I believe they do a sort of factory reset when prepping a car for sale. I’m sure it’s mostly to wipe out old owners settings like their stored addresses, etc. Mine was around 22mpg when I first got the car and now it’s slowly climbed to 26.3-26.5 mpg. One thing that’s interesting is that a full tank when the car was new would read approx 420 miles and now when I fill up, it says about 375 even though my MPG has risen over time.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Yes......that is odd for sure. I reset my mpg and it looks like it has come back to around 26 mpg but I still feel that the gauge moves a bit every time I drive it. I know that sounds silly because of course it moves, but a little more than I would think it should for a vehicle getting 26 mpg. As stated earlier, I will fill the tank and do my own calculations and report back. Enjoy the rest of the weekend !!

·
Registered
19 Posts
I do know that the displayed MPG is averaged over time unless you reset it. Mine use to change constantly and now just stays at 26.5 since I haven’t reset it since I got the car. I just don’t know what determines the estimated miles to empty since my MPG doesn’t change and it does all the time. I have also noticed that estimated miles to empty is independent of the fuel gauge too. I remember when it would hit the 1/4 tank line I use to have ~100 miles to empty and now at 1/4 tank it says -60 miles even though I know I can stretch that further.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Yes......since Volkswagen had that charge against them for fudging their mileage claims, it feels hard to really trust anything you see on the dashboard ! After my first fill up, I will chart my mileage myself and see were that lands.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts