2019 Gas odor inside and outside the car - Infiniti QX50 Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 03-17-2019, 11:40 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
2019 Gas odor inside and outside the car

My wife purchased a 2019 QX 50 and it has an issue with gas smell. It does not happen all the time but usually 80%. The garage often has a very strong gas odor and the inside of the vehicle smells too. Infiniti has tried 2 times to correct the issue and the problem is still present. Has anyone else had this issue? She has worked with infiniti consumer affairs but has not made much progress.
post #2 of 10 Old 03-17-2019, 08:51 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have the exact same issue. After driving it smells inside/outside the car and literally fills up my garage until it cools off. Purchased in January and it has been in the shop 4 times since then trying to get the issue resolved. Also talked to Infiniti consumer affairs. They know it's an issue. The gas smell is coming from the dipstick area under the hood. If you check the front grille after driving, it is concentrated on the passenger side. It's a problem with all 2019 models with the new engine as the loaner I had did the same thing. I was told there was an "engineering fix" they wanted to try on my car and they sent a tech from the USA office to my dealer. What I thought was going to be a fix turned out to be a "we're still trying to figure out the issue" conversation and I was told it is currently under"engineering review" with Infiniti. Even though I told them where the smell is coming from, they proceeded to change the EVAP canister hose, which is in the back of the car next to the gas tank...smh. That tells me they don't have a clue on how to fix it yet and are just doing something to say that they are trying. I'm calling consumer affairs back tomorrow to let them know this was a waste on my time and didn't change anything. Please keep on them as well as they have a real problem and I'm afraid it might be a safety issue with the fumes.
post #3 of 10 Old 03-18-2019, 10:12 AM Thread Starter

Angry The loaner they gave us smelled like gas too.

Your story sounds similar to my wife's. She was also told an engineer was going to try a new fix on her vehicle which seems to have made the problem worse. We are scheduled to have the car in the shop, for the third time, tomorrow. We were told that if they can't duplicate the odor in their shop they are going to close the case. We are getting extremely frustrated with this situation.

post #4 of 10 Old 03-18-2019, 08:27 PM

Wow.... This is unbelievable! Obviously they've acknowledged there's an issue. From what I was told by my dealer, Infiniti released a TSB on it, although I've looked and can't find it anywhere on the web. How is it passing emissions tests? Beyond frustrating to spend this kind of money on a new car and not only have this issue, but to be treated like this...smh. They are wanting to put this engine in other models of their cars and I really hope they do so the revolt will begin. This is ridiculous!! Anyone else that is having this issue please speak up so we can get a fix for this issue.
post #5 of 10 Old 03-20-2019, 09:11 AM Thread Starter

So we dropped our 2019 QX50 off at the dealership to, once again, see if they can fix the gas odor problem. They said we are the only QX50 owner that has complained about this problem, which I have a hard time believing. The funny thing is when we pulled our 2019 QX50 loaner into the garage, we could smell gas coming from the passenger side grill. Later in the evening, the garage was once again starting to reek of gas....although it didn't seem quite as bad as we get with our vehicle. This can't be an isolated issue that affects only a few QX50's.
post #6 of 10 Old 03-20-2019, 07:58 PM

Definitely not an issue only affecting a few QX50s. I actually saw a post on Edmunds about it from another guy in my city that bought his from my dealership and he was complaining of the same issue. Infiniti has acknowledged it's a venting issue but hasn't passed much on to their dealerships about it. I plan to keep screaming about this until they fix it. I say we post everywhere about it including including social media until they do something.
post #7 of 10 Old 03-27-2019, 06:34 PM

I had similar issue and it was fixed at the dealership. They replaced gas tank vent tube with the vent tube part #18793-35a0a . The original part was not properly installed at the factory
post #8 of 10 Old 03-27-2019, 07:18 PM

Can confirm the gas odor as well. Was never terribly strong so didn't think much of it. It has seemed to get better as time has gone one, or I've gotten used to it?

Will definitely bring this up at my next service appt. It's just not worth my time to get it fixed now, just for that.
post #9 of 10 Old 03-28-2019, 09:33 AM

I have also noticed a "mild" gas smell twice now after trips in the garage. I will monitor this closely and will probably make an appointment to address.
post #10 of 10 Old 03-28-2019, 06:20 PM Thread Starter

The person who checked our car in last week at the Infiniti dealership acknowledged the gas smell coming from our vehicle. Today we received a call from the Infiniti dealership informing us that nobody can duplicate the gas smell from our QX50 and they are basically washing their hands of it. What the **** are we supposed to do? Infiniti arbitration is reviewing our case but I think I know how that will turn out. The Infiniti service department said they had meters all around our QX50 but couldn't pick up any gas smell but when I asked if anyone had tried smelling the passenger side grill he said no. It doesn't sound like they are trying very hard to find the problem when I point them in the right direction and they don't even check it out. Would this be covered under the lemon law?

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page