Impressions of new QX50 - Page 2 - Infiniti QX50 Forum
User Tag List

7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 23 Old 12-11-2018, 07:06 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
We leased a 2019 QX50 Essential ProAssist, ProActive packages for my wife on 10/31. She's LOVING the car. I got to drive it to Tahoe and back in rain and snow last week. I was really pleased with everything. Car was loaded up with stuff (so much that I couldn't see out the back window). Plenty of power to keep us rolling along at 80mph while gaining 7000ft of altitude. Some things I discovered:

Turn down the brightness of the speedo/tach portion of the dashboard to dim the HUD enough not to cause glare (there's a separate brightness for HUD in Settings, but both of them have an impact).

ICC backs off the throttle more through curves in this car than in my Q50. They both do it, but its more pronounced in the QX. In other words, if you have cruise control and lane control set, and you're going through curves at 78-80mph, the system seems to back itself off to something like 74-75 through curves. My Q50 only backs off 2-3 mph in a similar situation. I'm not sure this is a bad thing, but it surprised me a bit.

QX50 ProActive "self driving" stuff is more sensitive to weather than the same stuff in the Q50. In heavy rain I got dash warnings that features weren't available. This almost never happens in the Q50, unless snow has covered the front of the car (or the lane markings) with 1/4" of ice. Again, not really a bad thing - you should be paying extra attention in foul weather.

I'll post some more info next time I drive her car.
Cartman and JJRO like this.

I'm a salesperson at an
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
in the Bay Area. Since many interweb jockeys think all salesmen are untruthful scum, certain users here suggested I put in a signature so you can completely disregard everything I say. YMMV.

You can PM or
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
if you are around Northern California and want help with your Infiniti purchase decision.

I currently drive a Red Sport Q50 AWD. Wife has a '19 QX50 w/ ProActive. New QX50 likely my next vehicle when Q50 lease comes up.
post #12 of 23 Old 12-12-2018, 07:13 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartman View Post
Is it possible to make it brighter??
There is a way to increase ambient lighting brightness under vehicle settings? - I love these lights!

Our Q60RS has some ambient lighting... it's a tad brighter.

post #13 of 23 Old 12-15-2018, 03:34 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I've used the text messaging with an iPhone and Android with good results. My wife and I love the CVT. Many purest don't care for them, but we like how smooth and response they are. We had a 2018 QX30 loaner recently and really liked the way it performed but really noticed the regular transmission and its shifting. Yes its a good system but its nice to have a quiet and smooth shift. Maybe we are just getting too old.

I'm hoping there will be a few more apps added in the future. The Infiniti Connection and InTouch work very well and now are using Apple Mapping. The only big miss we've noticed since we have a fully loaded QX60 is the mirrors should be automatic retracting with a switch than having to tuck them in manually. Other than that, we love the car.

post #14 of 23 Old 12-28-2018, 07:35 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Just got my QX50 Essential AWD with Sensory, ProAssist and ProActive packages I came from a 2015 Nissan Murano Platinum. I decided to "upgrade" to a luxury car for the express purpose of having a smoother/quieter ride. I test drove a model without the packages to see if I would like the 4-cyl turbo (I did) but I didn't get to experience the surround view camera and some of the other features. Here are some specific observations:

1) The back seat is not as roomy as the Murano and the center "hump" on the floor is annoying.
2) The QX50 sits lower than the Murano.
3) I knew it didn't have it, but the lack of Android Auto is not great. There are not such great options for mounting my phone on a bracket to use Waze so Android Auto would have been useful.
4) There are fewer storage areas. The center console is smaller and the lack of an upper tray makes organizing the center console difficult.
5) Why are the temp controls two up/down buttons instead of a dial? Makes no sense.
6) Why do I need to go through two presses to turn on the steering wheel heater? There was a dedicated button on the Murano.
7) When I make a phone call on my phone, why doesn't the screen switch to the phone screen? I haven't tested this with receiving a call.
8) The surround view camera is not as clear or colorful as the Murano's.
8) And, most concerning, when I step slowly on the accelerator at speeds of around 15-20 mph, I hear a light "knocking sound". I just got the car yesterday from a dealer 60 minutes away. There is a service center from a closer dealer 10 minutes away but I really don't want to have to go already after one day. Hopefully someone has an easy answer?

I got a great deal on this car and think it was actually cheaper than a 2019 Murano (when it comes out) would be. I am having second thoughts (not that there is anything to do about it). Hopefully, I will get used to the new car quickly and can start appreciating it more.

Any help/advice would be most appreciated. Thanks.
post #15 of 23 Old 12-29-2018, 07:35 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
The step from Murano to QX50 isnīt that big because the Murano shares many parts with some Infiniti. QX50 is definitly smaller than the QX50. The infotainment is not high end but I think they add a new one next year with carplay and android auto.
post #16 of 23 Old 01-02-2019, 11:02 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
This is my impression after 4 months of ownership:

1. Gas mileage has been approximately 11.3litres/100km (20.8 mpg) in mixed driving in autumn/winter. Ok mileage, but still a ways from posted 26mpg, being in the colder climates of Canada does not help.

2. I got Michelin X-ice snow tires and ride seems noticeably 'softer' than the 20" run-flat all-seasons.

3. The steer-by-wire is fabulous in its responsiveness and control.

4. Wish Infiniti didn't add the 'fake' shifting to its CVT... I found the CVT in the QX60 to be more satisfying... even with the motorboat feeling...

5. The longer I have the vehicle, the more I appreciate how good it looks. It's definitely one of the best exteriors out there.

6. Must agree with one of the other owners about the storage capacity... The glove box and centre storage unit is... just adequate.

7. The brightness of the ambient lighting (even when set to its maximum setting) is disappointing. More than one person has remarked that they could hardly tell that it on...

8. Really fun to drive - responsive and comfortable.

9. The fit and finish is still top-rate - no rattles or squeaks - tight as a drum.
post #17 of 23 Old 01-06-2019, 12:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadgetfreak View Post
5) Why are the temp controls two up/down buttons instead of a dial? Makes no sense.
6) Why do I need to go through two presses to turn on the steering wheel heater? There was a dedicated button on the Murano.
7) When I make a phone call on my phone, why doesn't the screen switch to the phone screen? I haven't tested this with receiving a call.
8) The surround view camera is not as clear or colorful as the Murano's.
8) And, most concerning, when I step slowly on the accelerator at speeds of around 15-20 mph, I hear a light "knocking sound". I just got the car yesterday from a dealer 60 minutes away. There is a service center from a closer dealer 10 minutes away but I really don't want to have to go already after one day. Hopefully someone has an easy answer?

I got a great deal on this car and think it was actually cheaper than a 2019 Murano (when it comes out) would be.
5) Makes sense to me. Buttons move one degree at a time. When it works that way, I can also use the voice command "Temperature 73" and the system will set itself.
6) Because when you do it with software, you can dig into Settings -> Other -> Climate and set the steering wheel heater to come on automatically (zero buttons to press). Much better than a button hidden way down by your knees - like on the QX60 (I don't know where the button is on a Murano).
7) How are you making the call? If you initiate it from your phone, that's probably the reason. If you initiate it by voice command ("Call Firstname Lastname?) or by using the phone button on the steering wheel, then the upper touchscreen, you should see a phone screen on the top screen.
8) Don't know, I'm colorblind - but it works better than in my Q50, that's for sure.
8againforsomereason) Too bad your local dealer wasn't good enough to convince you to buy locally. Or you weren't good enough to convince them to earn your business. Or neither one is good enough to help you answer your questions. If you're in the Bay Area, come see me next time.

Be glad you got a great deal. Infiniti just made the deals worse for customers for the coming few months.

I'm a salesperson at an
in the Bay Area. Since many interweb jockeys think all salesmen are untruthful scum, certain users here suggested I put in a signature so you can completely disregard everything I say. YMMV.

You can PM or
if you are around Northern California and want help with your Infiniti purchase decision.

I currently drive a Red Sport Q50 AWD. Wife has a '19 QX50 w/ ProActive. New QX50 likely my next vehicle when Q50 lease comes up.
post #18 of 23 Old 02-27-2019, 10:44 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
One of the biggest disappointment is that the new QX50 is now based on a front-wheel drive platform. The older models were based on rear-wheel drive platform. The handling will no doubt suffer.
post #19 of 23 Old 02-27-2019, 07:05 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Maybe the older one feels and drives a little bit better but I think in this class most people are looking for roomy interior an trunk.

If you wanīt something sporty go for the Q50.
post #20 of 23 Old 03-03-2019, 05:02 PM

The old one drove well and was bullet proof. But the new one is better in so many ways.

I'm a salesperson at an

You can PM or

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page