Infiniti QX50 Forum banner

2019 Infiniti QX50 - AMA

37K views 75 replies 14 participants last post by  gadgetfreak 
#1 ·
In early December I'll get a chance to drive the upcoming 2019 QX50. Infiniti's new crossover with a VC-T engine and lots of other fun goodies. There will be plenty of press on this car in the coming weeks and months. But if you have some questions you don't think the press will cover, or just in general - ask here. I'll try to track down answers when I drive the car and post answers. I'm pretty sure that there will not be an NDA/embargo on what I see, so hopefully I'll be able to answer questions clearly and directly.

I've worked in sales for a SF Bay Area Infiniti dealer for six years. I currently drive the 2016 Q50 Red Sport AWD with every tech option. I've driven every Infiniti we've made since 2010 and quite a few of the older ones too. Happy to make comparisons.

#35 ·
Also reading some of the first looks, will watch some reviews on youtube tonight. So far not too impressed. Was wary of the dual screen set up and the reviews are saying resolution is bad and design/fonts are different on the 2 screens. CVT and steering don't sound too great either. Add all of that together with the high prices on top trims and this car is moving down on my virtual list for now...

#38 ·
In no particular order, and understand that some of these aren't in the same class. We're looking to replace my wife's '16 Sorento in the near-ish term, but I need to replace mine by December. So, she may drive "mine" for x months, and then pass that to me. Then, get "hers".

Mazda CX-5 diesel, announced but may not happen.
Volvo XC60
2019 Infiniti QX50
Alfa Stelvio (at this point probably a 2019 with hopefully some items corrected).
2019 Acura RDX.
2018 Acura MDX Sport Hybrid SH-AWD (w/ 3 motors). It drives fantastic, but its on the big side.
2019 Kia Sorento (climbing in preference)
2019 Kia Sportage SX.

#40 · (Edited)
Apple CarPlay and Android Auto would be great.

I'm driving a VW Passat TDI diesel, and love the low end torque driving dynamics. The great MPG is just a bonus.

I'm looking forward to CX-5 diesel with 300 foot pound of torque. (Its to be a bigger engine for the US market.) It was to have been shipping by December '17, and still no update.

Kia announced a diesel Sorento for the US, but I wonder if it'll ever really happen in the US. It should have 320'lb.

I will go test drive the QX50. I hope some of the things it was dinged for could be improved with settings/tuning via a software update (steering, shift points, throttle twitchiness in slow traffic).

#41 ·
The Passat TDI is a good and reliable car but only MY 1997-2004. From 2005 they massive problems with electronis and rust. Which MY is your passat??

I think you don´t need a diesel, turbocharged gasoline give you the same feeling but without DPF or AGR problems.

#43 ·
But US spec Passat is not EU spec. No electronic parking brake, no electronic steering lock. Two problems less. ;)

It´s not the same you are right but modern CR diesel engines are also not the same as older ones, the 1,6 TDI for example. Horrible engine, huge turbolag and it´s even bigger after dieselgate. You also need expensive systems for cleaning exhaust gas, refilling adblue tank every 5000 miles, expensive oil. Also AGR valves are selling like hot cakes after dieselgate. ;)

But thats only my opinion as an european where diesel engines are very popular for decades. :)

#45 ·
FYI.

The Build Configurator is now live on Infiniti's website.

https://www.infinitiusa.com/buildyourinfiniti/variant/index?modelLineCode=qx50
SERVER ERROR
An error has occurred

I'm not able to get past entering my zip code. Tried City, State, and still no go.

SERVER ERROR
An error has occurred

Safari and Chrome. In Firefox, it doesn't ask for Zip, but when I select Build on a QX50 Essential it takes me to a Q50 3.0t SPORT page.

Weird. I'll try again tomorrow.

#48 ·
Cars still haven't shown up for us in NorCal. Infiniti ****** up some trim piece. I think they have one guy with a bag of parts and a screwdriver going around to every place that has cars to fix them. Seriously. I guess I should know better.

#56 · (Edited)
My Wife Pulled The Trigger

We reserved one when they announced the arrival and gift program. Our local dealership contacted us the day the truck arrived. My wife originally wanted a specific color combination which wasn't on the delivery but fell in love with the Essential AWD Chestnut Bronze with the Autograph package. We spent a lot of time test driving the car on freeways, hills and in stop and go traffic. We both were very impressed with the overall looks, performance and technology. There is plenty of power getting off the line and going up steep hills. The ProPilot is pretty nice and works as advertised. The car is very quiet and smooth riding even on bumpy roads. No real noticeable body roll either. Yes its weird shifting forward for reverse and vise-versa. The auto high beams and turning headlights are good features. We LOVE the heads-up display. It is so clear and easy to see even in bright daylight.

One thing that worked at first and needs to be fixed when we take it in for service is the outbreak feature. Probably a bad connection or fuse. The InTouch system is easy to use and similar to the features on our 2016 QX60. What is confusing is trying to figure out how to download some of the apps like Google search, etc. No Pandora, Trip Advisor, Gas Buddy, etc. Any suggestions? The manual isn't very clear about the app section.

Overall my wife is extremely happy with her new QX50. She is now off my back.

About our dealership. This is the third new vehicle we've purchased from them and they were absolutely fantastic to work with. Even though there is a lot of turn over in staff, the core staff members were very easy to work with. Infiniti of Tacoma at Fife treats us like VIPs.

#55 ·
Ditto.

Coming from a 2006 FX35, the new QX50 could use a bit more thought into the design. Like the storage bin on the door, the QX50 is just a open space. On the FX35, it pulls out for easy access. The center console could be higher to act like an armrest like the FX35 did. So far I like everything else. The push forward to get the transmission into Reverse will take a while for me to get used to.

#58 ·
Congratulations! Which one did you buy? We were heading south on I5 near Salem Oregon today and saw a truck load of QX50s heading north. When Ariel called me to tell me that three cars arrived, my wife and I headed down to the dealership. The blue car was detailed and we test drove it but since it wasn’t fully loaded and the one we ultimately purchased was still wrapped in plastic, we opted to wait until we could see other color combinations. We were shopping at the Tacoma mall 30 minutes later when Clayton called me to tell me a truck load just showed up. We headed back and saw most of the color and package details. Two days later Joe invited us back to test drive the fully loaded one and we loved it. It was such a great experience. No pressure and no haggle.

#59 ·
@BobOB, When you say "outbreak feature," do you mean auto-brake, as in Distance Control Assist? Or do you mean Auto-Brake Hold? Either way, both of those features need to be engaged each time you start the car. Distance Control Assist is one of the things that gets turned on with the blue safety shield button on your steering wheel (non ProActive cars have the button on the dash). Auto Brake-hold is a button down on the center console near your right elbow. Once you press that, it holds the brake at a stop light until you press the gas pedal to get going again. Distance Control Assist is the system that applies the brakes to slow you down if the car in front of you slows and you don't put your foot on the brake pedal.

I hope that helps.

Other questions or points of confusion from new owners?

#61 ·
FWIW, auto brake hold only works if seatbelts are on.

#63 ·
Yeah, where the new folks at?

I'm loving driving the car when I can. Today I put one in full autonomous mode (as much as it can, anyway) and drove it down 101 past the spot where that Tesla famously crashed and burned a couple months ago. Interestingly, the QX50 navigated the first part fine (the part where the Tesla crashed). But shortly after that, it beeped to tell me it had lost the lane markings. This made total sense because right now there are multiple lane markings in each lane and some are faded. So QX50 1 Tesla 0.

I've also been playing around with the various ProActive features. I'm a little disappointed that you have to engage Auto-Brake-Hold each time you start the car. I wish I could make that a saved feature. I'm also finding that I'm luke-warm on the HUD. But, you can turn that off and it will stay off the next time you get in.

Steering Assist is sweet. It allows one-finger turning in a parking lot. But it doesn't always demo well. People find it odd feeling at first because they've never had anything quite like it. I find I have to warn clients about it sometimes.

I wish you didn't need to touch the wheel so much when all the co-pilot features are engaged. On my Q50, I can go for miles w/out touching the wheel if the road is reasonably straight. But too many Q50 owners took advantage of that and did stupid stuff (plus Tesla users are ruining it for the rest of us). So, now we can't have nice things anymore and need to put our hands on the wheel every 20 seconds or the car starts whining.

The kick-to-open feature on the rear lift gate works much better in the QX50 than in the QX60. Its much more flexible in terms of recognizing your kick.

The leisure tow hitch looks great and is nicely tucked-in under the bumper. No need to cut the lower bumper or put in a trim finisher. Plus, it comes with a rubber cover.

The rear cargo protector is reversible. Its rubber on one side and soft on the other. Much better than the one for the QX60.

#64 ·
I picked up my wife's new QX50 on Wednesday, and loving the car ! Much quieter than I expected, and don't have any issues with the CVT tranny. Good pickup as well ! The one disappointment I have with the vehicle is not having a digital speedometer between the tach and speedo. I had 2 Durango's , and now a Q7 that have it, and am shocked Nissan doesn't include this on it's highest end package.

The only option I didn't order was the ProActive Assist, for lane assist while in cruise control. It will mostly be an in town vehicle, and on my Q7, you have to keep a hand lightly on the wheel, so I don't even bother using it anymore. That option would have given me the digital heads up display, but my wife does not like the hud on the Audi, and would not have used it anyway.

The Autograph Interior is the best part of the QX50. The diamond stich pattern in the white looks awesome, especially with the blue suede detail on the center console and doors. The natural wood color is not my favorite, but not bad either.

Spent about an hour in it messing with all the radio / satellite stuff, along with all the other settings. Bose sound good, and pairing was not a problem with my Iphone.

The car feels larger cabin wise than it appears, and the back seat knee room was much larger than expected. Length wise, it is about a foot shorter than my Hellcat Charger sitting next to it.

Can't wait to put her on the road this summer to Taos / Telluride / Santa Fe. The Q7 gets it's best mpg in high altitude, so maybe can see mid 30's in the QX50 while in the mountains.

So far a big thumbs up to Nissan / Infiniti for building a great vehicle.

Attachments

#65 · (Edited)
The Autograph Interior is the best part of the QX50. The diamond stich pattern in the white looks awesome, especially with the blue suede detail on the center console and doors. The natural wood color is not my favorite, but not bad either.
Aw jeez I didn't need to hear that. I really want the Dynamic Sunstone Red /w Autograph, and that combination is REALLY hard to come by. [Edit] (on the east coast within 500 miles of my house -- the public inventory search is disappointingly limited so who knows.. maybe there are hundreds available on the west coast)

#67 ·
We've reached the 1,000 mile mark on our QX50. My wife loves her new car and has very few gripes, but there is something we are a bit concerned about and will contact Infiniti Consumer Affairs. We owned one of the first JX35's and had no issues. We now have 26,000 miles on the 2016 QX60 without any issues. We are spoiled on the technology and rely on how well the DCA works for front braking. On the QX50, we are noticing that the car does not pick up the vehicle in front as quickly as the QX60. As a matter of fact, we frequently get the fast beeps warning of a possible front end impact. We addressed this with our dealership and they couldn't see any issues. Wondering if there is a software update that needs to be addressed here? Anyone else noticing a slow response to the front end braking system?

#70 ·
I had this happen to me the other day. I was pulling away from a light with no one in front of me and the car suddenly gave me the red collision warning on the heads up display and automatically hit the brakes. It has only happened to me this one time in the first 700 miles.

How are your guys doing on gas mileage? I am getting 16.5-17.5 in city and about 20 on highway. Is this just because it is still in the breakin period? I have the essential AWD version.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.